Monday, July 7, 2008

The Simpler Life

The simpler life. I like the sound of it – a simpler life – but can I really do it? Can I truly understand and live the life Keri Kent describes in her book “Breathe: Creating Space for God in a Hectic Life”?

God has stripped away all the “extras” out of our life. I don’t mean just our house, our bank accounts, the extra rooms of furniture we once had. He has taken away our freedom to overfill our life, He’s turned our schedule over to Him, our control, our security and dependence on ourselves, etc. There has been nothing but survival for two and half years. I thought we were doing okay with scheduling pre Joshua. I like busy. When I am awake, I am on the go. Then I sleep (and for a long time, if allowed – rarely happens anymore, sigh.) Being in crisis mode takes away all the “non-important” (non-essential things).

The first few chapters of the book just made me angry. We don’t have the kids in three activities each, working crazy jobs, juggling car pools and volunteering at five places… we are SURVIVING. Barely making it to the grocery store – and only because one of my parents came over so I can run to the store. My days are filled with doctor appointments, therapy, driving the girls to school (most days late), filling feeding bags, going through hospital bills, scheduling more appointments, researching diagnosis, … SURVIVING. I felt like the people described in the book had decided to take on all the activities and were not making their relationship with God a priority. Okay, so I ‘m just going to sit and read my quiet time while Joshua turns blue and needs suctioning?? Of course that was not what the book was saying, it was about heart issues as well. Am I going to try to keep up with the Jones’ or carry the yoke that God has given me? It was about WHY we chose to over schedule our lives. Why we feel the need to have so many activities and be busy.

I like my house being picked up. It doesn’t have to be spotless clean, but definitely no dirty dishes (smelly!). I hate my car being a dropping ground for the kids’ things. I need some order in my life – for my sanity! I’m not trying to impress someone else or “just in case” someone comes by. Evaluating motives helps to determine if something should be a priority. When life is spinning out of control, I believe, it is okay to have certain areas to maintain some sanity and peace.

As Joshua’s sicknesses are more manageable, I decided to sign the girls up for swim team. I know, I know, what was I thinking? It stressed me out so much being required to be somewhere at a certain time, hours waiting for a heat, the crowds of people, etc. We weren’t ready for that yet, maybe never. More than twice I stressed over getting the girls to the pool instead of just enjoying the time at the doctors’ office. Our life is still a little unpredictable. I need to “breathe” – to be okay with the girls not being involved in certain activities and knowing that we have been called to a different road.

I enjoy my time in the morning reading my quiet time before the kids are up. Keri Kent quoted Thoreau – he said, “Your priorities are what you do.” I have always said having a quiet time was a priority, but I never set my alarm clock the night before. Not much of a priority I placed, eh?

Elizabeth was on a basketball team and one of the mom’s had quadruplets (or was it triplets?), any how, she said that each day she asks herself if she really listened to each of her children that day. Not just talked while she cooked dinner, barking orders, but really stopped, looked into their eyes and listened. There will always be dishes to be done. When I choose to wait until later and put my kids (or hubby) first I know my priorities are shining through.

I want to breathe and breathe deeply. I love the stories about people doing “good things” (church activities, etc.) and being overloaded. In my college days, I lead Disciple Now weekends. One of the quotes I picked up was “If Satan can’t make you bad, he’ll make you busy.” That always stuck with me as I frantically ran around doing all my “good things”.

I still have more to read, but so far, God has convicted me. It has helped me analyze my priorities and the motives behind those priorities. I’ve also found I am even reading slower, digesting it, letting it sink into my heart. I am a work in progress! Thank goodness God isn’t done with me yet!

(If anyone in Houston is interested, I have an extra copy – sweet Eric bought me one from our church bookstore not knowing I had already ordered one.)

1 comment:

happy pamela said...

I'd love a copy! So curious as to what she has to say, for it's a book I considered writing myself!

you are a perfect mother and a delightful friend - rest in those today. . .